With many people taking off and enjoying a well deserved holiday over the Christmas and New Year period, it is important to ensure your home is secure and protected from possible theft whilst you’re away.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Crime rates over Christmas increase by 30 per cent on average.
So firstly, try to think the way thieves do. Does your home look neglected, abandoned or unused?
If so, try the following ideas to make it look occupied and keep your home safe:
- Consider using an automatic lighting timer on one or two of your lamps inside the home to give the impression that the house is occupied. Set them both at different times so it looks like there is always someone home.
- Never leave notes on your door. This is just screaming out “No-one is here!, Take everything!”
- Keep blinds and curtains partly open to give the house a “lived in” appearance if you are going away for some length of time.
- Cancel all regular deliveries, e.g. milk, newspapers so the stockpile doesn’t give the game away.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on your home and collect any other items you are expecting which may arrive while your away.
- Ask the Post Office to hold your mail but don’t forget to pick it up and let them know you have returned.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to park a car in your driveway from time to time.
It is also a good idea to make things tough for aspiring burglars:
- Lock away all portable garden equipment, tools, ladders or anything that could be taken or used to break into your house.
- Securely lock your garage; most break in implements are found there.
- Lock all doors and windows and check them twice and have someone regularly check them.
- Take your keys or leave them with a friend but DO NOT hide them around the property.
- Remove all money and valuables to a safe place such as your bank.
- Notify your neighbours and family of your absence so they can keep an eye on your home.
If you notice any suspicious behaviour around your neighbourhood, make sure you contact your local police.
Hillarys Police Station
Address: 114 Flinders Avenue, Hillarys WA 6025
Phone:+61 8 9403 1000
Most importantly, enjoy your holiday!